Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Final Push (birth pun intended)

So, it's done. I have finished my Ph.D. It feels almost anti-climatic for the amount of time, stress and energy that went into it. It's not that I'm not excited, I obviously am, but it's also just a little sad. While I am thrilled to be done, being done means leaving California. Leaving my friends, the comfort of a group of colleagues that I know and respect and having to learn how to navigate a whole new city. It also means packing up an 18 month old and moving him across the country. That should be fun, I'm sure.

It has been an interesting ride, this whole Ph.D. adventure. Looking back there are a few things I realize I did that made my life harder but better. The decision to get married and have a baby all while being in school full time added some extra complications to the degree. Clearly, they were worth it since I have an awesome husband and a beautiful baby but this whole process would have been a lot easier if I didn't plan a cross country wedding during classes or defended my dissertation proposal four days from my due date.

No comments:

Post a Comment